Skip to main content

Illinibucks

If the University of Illinois were to begin implementing a program called Illinibucks to give students the ability to spend this currency to move spots in line, I believe that it would be a well-received program. Based on the premise and goal of this program, I think that there would be multiple categories that this could be used for. As mentioned, registering for classes is done on a priority basis, with top priority given to Honors students and athletes, followed by credit class year. For the students who are not in one of these priority groups, I believe that the idea of utilizing Illinibucks would be very well received. For those who are in large majors or really want to get into a specific class, they might be willing to spend their Illinibucks. Another thing on campus that would be able to utilize the Illinibucks program would be parking. For those that want to park on campus, it is often difficult to find a spot and expensive over the course of the semester. Depending on the quantity of Illinibucks or their value, parking passes order could utilize the system. Lastly, the big item for graduating students would be order for commencement tickets. Often these ceremonies are very large and difficult to get tickets for. This could be something that the Illinibucks system could be implemented with to get more tickets than the allotted.

Personally, I would spend my Illinibucks on the parking aspects and the commencement tickets. I find that parking on campus is extremely difficult and expensive. If these bucks could be utilized in some sort of exchange for specific priority parking spots, there would be less congestion and anger all around with parking on campus. With the limited spots for parking permits, my guess is that there are lot of people who order theirs later. With the use of Illinibucks, those who were willing to trade in their bucks would be able to move ahead in that line of people waiting. In terms of the commencement tickets, there is always a limited supply. As someone who has previously sat on the Commencement Committee, I have heard my fair share of stories where people were needing to get extra tickets and being concerned that they would not. Fortunately for the large commencement, there is not frequently concern due to the location being at Memorial Stadium. However, for some of the smaller ceremonies, there are concerns. For example, I am graduating in December. Each graduate can get four tickets, with potentially two additional. The rest that are not claimed will be available the day of the ceremony on a first come first serve basis. If the Illinibucks system were to be implemented for the tickets, I would be able to work on getting those tickets. Instead of waiting until the day of, I would have the opportunity to trade in my Illinibucks for priority access to the left-over tickets.


Of the issues on the pricing for the different options for the Illinibucks, there are a few possibilities that I see occurring if the prices are not set at a good level. If the price was too low, there would be an overwhelming demand for whatever the student would use their allocation for. If there are too many people who want to move up in line for a certain item, the priority access from Illinibucks would prove to be ineffective. There would be too many people that would try to move ahead that there is a possibility that everyone would want to move ahead, therefore nobody would get ahead. While this would be an extreme case, it could be possible if the price was too low. If the price were to be too high, those who are willing to pay extreme amounts for the priority spot in line would pay it, but less people may utilize the system. Based on each priority line skip item, the price would have to be set at something where those who would want to utilize it would be able to, but not low enough that it would defeat the purpose of the system.

Comments

  1. You are the first person to mention parking. I'm glad you did. If you look at the graphic I posted on the class site about enrollments on campus, it seems evident that demand for parking has risen over time, as enrollments have risen. On the other hand, on the street (metered) parking is probably in fixed supply. So therein lies and issue.

    The lot I park in, which is called E12 and is right behind BIF, is extremely crowded when I come in to teach our class on Tuesday. There are a few more spots available on Thursday, though I'm not sure why. It seems to me that during the time when my permit is valid in the lot, which I think is 8 AM - 5 PM Mon - Fri, the campus really doesn't want students to be bringing their cars to campus. After hours the lots are open to anyone. I don't have experience these days to coming to campus during the evening. I gather that the lots can get pretty crowded then and on the street parking is hard to come by.

    I wonder if the university has any communication to students about whether to have a car on campus or not. I would think that while students are living in the dorms, a car might be more of a pain than its worth, except perhaps for going back to see the parents. (But I believe the bus for that is not too bad.) Once students are out of the dorms, a car might be a reasonable part of apartment life. As it turns out, the campus now has more transfer students than it ever has had previously. My guess is that most of them don't live in the dorms, even during their first semester on campus. That makes the demand for parking even higher.

    I am not sure what the right solution to this is. Public transportation as an alternative way to come to campus should be considered as part of the mix. Ditto for walking or riding a bike.

    Now a little story about me. When I was a grad student at Northwestern, I lived in Rogers Park, rather than in Evanston, because the rent was cheaper. I was about four miles from campus. I did have a car and on most days I drove. Grad students could buy a parking permit there back then. My last year was different. I was writing my dissertation then and it wasn't going very well. For whatever reason, I took to walking to and from campus, about an hour in each direction. It did clear my head and made the rest of the day not seem as long. I didn't do it when the weather was real bad, but otherwise I did. So I see it as a possibility for students, even if most wouldn't consider doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your proposal of using Illinibucks to solve the parking issue since I am sick at our school's parking system as well. Sometimes I feel that the school is trying to squeeze out the last penny from students. Students not only have to pay abundant tuition fee and facilities fee, but still have to pay parking fee either they drive to library or recreation centers. It is unforgettable that I drove to ARC one time and got a ticket after I came out from ARC. I did pay for the meter with the mobile app, though I paid a wrong meter which is located in Florida... I called the parking department trying to explain that was an mistake and asked whether they can revoke the ticket. They, however, acted like that was not their business and all I could do was pay for the ticket.

    BTW, I appreciate your good writing skill, which makes your articles easy to read and understandable :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Triangle Principal Agent in Actuality

With the principal-agent model, the actuality of these situations are day-in and day-out situations, but often times the triangle agent model is one that is more factor based. One that sticks in my mind as a situation that I saw from afar was this summer while I was working for large corporation in Chicago. The group that I was with had a main manager, with her reporting to the department head. The group used to be co-managed before another department needed a manager. With the change of a single manager, the manager implemented unofficial teams to include senior members of the team as team leaders, helping her workload in terms of assisting the group. While everyone still reported to the main manager, they unofficially were under the leadership of the two senior group members. With these two senior members, while it was not an official triangle principal agent with direct reports, there was an unofficial triangle situation. I noticed this from the people on the team that I was w

Mid - Semester Blog Review

In reading back through my posts, I would say one of the themes that ties through from all my posts is my ties to the University of Illinois and those experiences. Majority of my posts revolved around student government experiences or the organization’s structure. The posts have helped me to look at my past experiences and be able to reflect on what I learned through those experiences. As a senior, I have been much more reflective as of late on what I have accomplished, learned and how I’ve grown. Student government has taught me about the person I am, but also has helped to guide me on the path of where I want to go in the future. I think that is why many of my posts have been rooted in my student government experience. It has been a big part of my life, and now seeing them through different economic lenses has been rewarding. Aside from addressing the prompts, I think that there are additional ways to tie what I wrote about to the course themes. There are aspects in each anecdot

Staying True to Your Values

Through my experiences in student government, there have been many people that I have encountered that have either acted opportunistic or not acted opportunistic. Through this, I have learned there are many reasons that people act the way that they do. What I have found to be consistent though is that if someone acts opportunistic once, it is much more likely that they will do it again. The reversal is true if someone does not act opportunistic, they are less likely to act opportunistic in the future. It appears those who act opportunistic fall down a slippery slope in which it becomes easier to justify their rationale. A specific example comes to mind in terms of a few individuals who acted opportunistically. For the sake of anonymity, some parts of this is going to be left out but the situation is the important aspect. A few years ago, there was a situation that the student government was working on an initiative that gave students items during a specific campus holiday. The stu