Skip to main content

Christina D. Romer

Christina Romer is a renowned Professor of Economics, currently teaching at University of California Berkley. She is currently serving as the co-director of the Program in Monetary Economics at the National Bureau of Economic Research. She previously chaired the Council of Economic Advisers for a period during the Obama Administration, specifically due to her previous research and understanding of the Great Depression. Other research interests of hers include effects of fiscal policy, monetary shocks, and short run fluctuations over the 20th century. She has written for many journals and is regarded as one of the preeminent macro-economists.

Christina's work as an economist is very important. Her assistance in the Obama administration's navigation of the time after the financial crisis as well her work as a researcher and professor is both renowned and respected. Additionally, her published work has been important in both educational and professional utilizations. While I did not know about Christina before she was assigned as my alias, I had heard about the Council of Economic Advisers. I believe that her work is relevant to this class as her work can be applied in the framework of organizations, not just theoretically or in a governmental setting.

https://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2008/11/24/who-is-christina-romer/
http://www.politico.com/story/2008/11/who-is-christina-romer-016032
https://www.econ.berkeley.edu/faculty/847
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/05/AR2010080506682.html

Comments

  1. Romer is an excellent economist but I'm afraid that as chair of the Council she also needed to be an excellent politician, and in that dimension she was either less adept or other voices drowned out her wisdom. In particular, there was an issue both of the composition and the magnitude of the stimulus package that went into effect soon after President Obama took office, in early 2009. The stimulus was a mixture of spending programs and tax cuts, with Romer wanting the composition to be more of the former. In magnitude it was about $700 billion. Romer wanted something about 50% larger. Neither of those happened. It is said that she competed with Larry Summers for the President's attention and that what did happen was more in accord with Summers' view.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Triangle Principal Agent in Actuality

With the principal-agent model, the actuality of these situations are day-in and day-out situations, but often times the triangle agent model is one that is more factor based. One that sticks in my mind as a situation that I saw from afar was this summer while I was working for large corporation in Chicago. The group that I was with had a main manager, with her reporting to the department head. The group used to be co-managed before another department needed a manager. With the change of a single manager, the manager implemented unofficial teams to include senior members of the team as team leaders, helping her workload in terms of assisting the group. While everyone still reported to the main manager, they unofficially were under the leadership of the two senior group members. With these two senior members, while it was not an official triangle principal agent with direct reports, there was an unofficial triangle situation. I noticed this from the people on the team that I was w

Mid - Semester Blog Review

In reading back through my posts, I would say one of the themes that ties through from all my posts is my ties to the University of Illinois and those experiences. Majority of my posts revolved around student government experiences or the organization’s structure. The posts have helped me to look at my past experiences and be able to reflect on what I learned through those experiences. As a senior, I have been much more reflective as of late on what I have accomplished, learned and how I’ve grown. Student government has taught me about the person I am, but also has helped to guide me on the path of where I want to go in the future. I think that is why many of my posts have been rooted in my student government experience. It has been a big part of my life, and now seeing them through different economic lenses has been rewarding. Aside from addressing the prompts, I think that there are additional ways to tie what I wrote about to the course themes. There are aspects in each anecdot

Staying True to Your Values

Through my experiences in student government, there have been many people that I have encountered that have either acted opportunistic or not acted opportunistic. Through this, I have learned there are many reasons that people act the way that they do. What I have found to be consistent though is that if someone acts opportunistic once, it is much more likely that they will do it again. The reversal is true if someone does not act opportunistic, they are less likely to act opportunistic in the future. It appears those who act opportunistic fall down a slippery slope in which it becomes easier to justify their rationale. A specific example comes to mind in terms of a few individuals who acted opportunistically. For the sake of anonymity, some parts of this is going to be left out but the situation is the important aspect. A few years ago, there was a situation that the student government was working on an initiative that gave students items during a specific campus holiday. The stu